The Best Antidote to Anxiety is Action

This spring in Ann Arbor, I've developed semblance of a morning routine that includes a walk around the neighborhood.  The colder the morning, the less I have to worry about proper 'physical distancing' from other people.

My route includes the local elementary school playground with map of the USA drawn on the asphalt (I step around the states and remember family members sheltering in place around the country). I've noticed that the playground which has been devoid of school children for several weeks has populated with robins.  They sing and fly and romp around the slides and swings and benches that aren't used by kids these days. I continue through the neighborhood of Cape Cod houses with gardens and SUVs and families ensconced for the duration of this pandemic.

The neighborhood is covered with various yard signs as if we're in the middle of an election.
Many sign have variations on the theme of gratefulness....
"Thank you  Essential Workers"
"Hail to the Front Line"
"We Love our Health Care Workers"

I've noticed one for a couple of weeks that particularly struck me today:




Like many, I've noticed an anxiety in me that's more pronounced than usual lately.
My brain ruminates on all the plans that have been put on hold or scrapped due to the pandemic. I ponder the unknowns about the spread of the virus, my own 'at risk' condition, the confusion generated by conflicting information and messages, and the dizzying statistics about everything from infection rates to unemployment claims nationwide.
I find myself in my confusion trying to analyze my way out of this chaos looking for the right place to get the facts needed to address my anxiety. There are several news sources, traditional and newly created that are available for this. In fact, some programmer has created algorithms to seek my type out for my anxiety in order to sell me something while I'm fixated.

More information does not alleviate the anxiety, however. The sign on my walk has the answer.
This simple aphorism can help , I believe.
Taking action can (and is) be an antidote for anxiety.

The action can be as varied as each individual can conceive.....

Getting up and taking a walk
Painting some trim
Finding  a new recipe, buying the ingredients and cooking the dish
Calling  an old friend
Writing a letter to an elected official
Reading a book from a new genre
Unsubscribing to a newsletter
Donating to a cause or charity you believe in
Playing the piano
Planting a tomato, or basil, or arugula
Writing a blog
Starting to read the Bible from front to back

I'm sure you can add an action step to this.
Large or small, action matters.









Comments

  1. Best one yet, in my opinion. Those morning walks can be the fuel for your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with morning walks being idea fuel. Especially if there are literally signs out helping to spark ideas ;)

      Delete
  2. Uncle Jimmy, thank you for this blog post. I feel like it is so easy to spiral, especially with anxiety at this time. I couldn't agree more that action matters. And the bilateral stimuli of a walk mixed with the feeling of fresh cold air-that just can't be beat. I think it's hard to remember sometimes to take action and use the anxiety to do something instead of letting the anxiety make us wallow (maybe that's just me). So I really admire you for acknowledging your mind-state, then reading that action can help, and then actually taking that action by writing a blog post. So often that's easier said than done, but you actually got it done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I definitely feel better when I get out and at least walk around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just getting up and moving helps in a number of ways.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LISTENING TO THE QUIET AT 75

WAR: What is it good for?

I'VE LOOKED AT LIFE FROM BOTH SIDES NOW