Hughesville, Walking from Mt. Morris to Detroit, My CUZ Daniel O'Connell and the Abolition of Slavery

St. Patrick's Day passed as March whistled through the Midwest with mere hints of Spring flowers and temperatures. I often think about my Irish Heritage at this time of the year.  I found myself looking over records and photos of relatives and remembering stories I heard growing up.

The Hughes' showed up in Michigan in the 1830's and settled in Mt. Morris which became known as Hughesville.  I didn't discover the cemetery behind Mt. Morris' St. Mary's Church until I was in middle age---it was full of Hughes graves.  The Church itself contains stained glass windows  donated by various Hughes ancestors. When I visited Ireland in 2008 with six of my first cousins, we found our cousin  Kathleen Hughes Doherty east of Dublin;  she toured Mt. Morris with us a couple of years later.  She was floored by seeing all the graves and windows in St. Mary's  Mt. Morris and marveled that:

"Here's where all the relatives came when they left Ireland before The Great Famine."

A "lifetime story" in our family states the one of the first Hughes farmer/ settlers walked from Mt. Morris to Detroit and back to ask the Bishop to establish a parish in Mt. Morris.  That happened with land donated by a Hughes. So many questions about all that and nobody around to ask......

"How did the Hughes' get the  land in the first place as new immigrants?" This was when Michigan was a territory inhabited by many Indigenous people.  

Was the land purchased from the Native Americans? Was it taken when the Native Americans were "removed " during the Andrew Jackson administration?

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it....



Now to Daniel O'Connell.....

According to "lifetime stories' on my mother's side, we are related to Daniel O'Connell. Janie's  mother was  Marie Houran, whose mother was a Ryan , whose mother was an O'Connell.  (This was documented in a old Michigan History Book I found in our basement that had a detailed story about my Great Grandfather Michael Houran who immigrated from Ireland, ran a lumber business in Flint and was a philanthropist, prominent Democrat, and donated land to establish the Park system in Flint.)

Daniel O'Connell was the acknowledged political leader of Ireland's Roman Catholic majority in the first half of the 19th century. He became a member of the UK Parliament in 1829, and,  according to Wikipedia,    

"O'Connell played a major part in passage of the Reform Act of 1832 and in the abolition of Slavery (1833) (a cause in which he continued to campaign).[18] He welcomed the revolutions of 1830 in Belgium and France,[18] and advocated "a complete severance of the Church from the State".[19] Such liberalism made all the more intolerable to O'Connell the charge that as "Papists" he and his co-religionists could not be trusted with the defence of constitutional liberties." (History repeated itself in 1960 when JFK campaigned for the US Presidency)

O'Connell was a strong advocate of the separation of church and state. When I discovered this, it reminded my of my own father's stance in the 1960's when "Parochiad" was debated as a way to funnel Michigan tax dollars to Catholic Parish schools. Despite pressure from the local priests , Dad wanted no part of the state's money for St. Luke's or St. Mike's, figuring that if he wanted his kids to get a Catholic education he'd  be the one to pay for it!

Daniel O'Connell was a strong Abolitionist and challenge the institution of slavery throughout the world.

Again from Wikipedia:

"When in 1845, Frederick Douglass, touring the British Isles following publication of his Life of an American Slave, attended unannounced a meeting in Conciliation Hall, Dublin, he heard O'Connell explain to a roused audience:[113][114]

I have been assailed for attacking the American institution, as it is called,—Negro slavery. I am not ashamed of that attack. I do not shrink from it. I am the advocate of civil and religious liberty, all over the globe, and wherever tyranny exists, I am the foe of the tyrant; wherever oppression shows itself, I am the foe of the oppressor; wherever slavery rears its head, I am the enemy of the system, or the institution, call it by what name you will.

I am the friend of liberty in every clime, class and color. My sympathy with distress is not confined within the narrow bounds of my own green island. No—it extends itself to every corner of the earth. My heart walks abroad, and wherever the miserable are to be succored, or the slave to be set free, there my spirit is at home, and I delight to dwell."

Apparently , O'Connell caught criticism for taking a position against American slavery because he was seen as "interfering" in the affairs of another country. He was vilified by many Irish American immigrants who wanted to maintain the status quo on slavery in the U.S.A.

The ensuing years certainly make clear that O'Connell  was "on the right side of history"as far as the abolition of slavery is concerned..   

Personally, reading and learning about all this both raises and answers lots of questions about how my own beliefs have been shaped. I've discovered that it's well worth the time and effort to learn as much as I can about history from a wide variety of perspectives.

Strong faith and a belief in justice for all springs from these stories of ancestors. My own intention is to stay curious and learn as much as I can about the stories of our pasts in order to enlighten our futures.


 

Comments

  1. Love this uncle Jim! Keep ‘em coming

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic stuff, Jim. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim: Thank you for sharing an important and meaningful slice of your family history. It is sad to know that Irish immigrants to America found it convenient to endorse the practice of slavery. This, after having escaped their own form of slavery under the Crown. What a paradox.

    I trace my ancestry back to a man who immigrated to America in 1699. George Haworth was a Quaker. If I read my history right, the Quakers were among the earliest Abolitionists. Ironically, George's progeny did not follow that course. By 1830 and about the same time as your ancestors arrived in Michigan, my great, great grandfather was establishing a plantation in Louisiana. He eventually held control of over forty enslaved human beings. My great grandfather was an officer in the Confederate army and later, an ardent opponent to Reconstruction in the South. He likely went to his grave a bitter man as he watched the family estate sold off for war reparations. Strong justice, properly administered. I am relieved to know that at least some of his ancestors have learned their history and are now working to promote equality for all races and creeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an amazing story!
      Who’s speaking?

      Delete
    2. Thank-you for documenting all of this for posterity Jim! I remember being there in Mt. Morris with Kathleen Doherty (and you) and as she marveled, so did I! How did our parents never tell us about all these graves with our name on them?

      And I think it rather amazing that I named my first-born Daniel. And he seems to have a real heart for the oppressed and has taken steps in his sphere of influence to affect change.

      Delete
    3. Hi Jim, This is Tim Haworth posting. I posted the account of my Quaker ancestors. It must also be said that the vast majority of the Friends who came with William Penn to Pennsylvania stayed true to their faith well into the 19th century. Many moved into the Ohio Valley and also up into Michigan. My ancestors were not among them. My line moved south into Virginia, the Carolinas, Kentucky and eventually, Louisiana. I can only wish that I could trace my ancestry back to more noble folks, as is the case with the Hughes family. In my maternal lineage there were several who fought and possibly died fighting for the emancipation of the enslaved.

      Delete
    4. Tim,
      You are a Renaissance Man , an artist , and a person of character and commitment.
      I would call you “noble”.
      I’m sure there are stories yet to be discovered about your ancestors and mine that will be enlightening.
      Keep on keeping on!!

      Delete
  4. You can't know where your'e going unless you know where you came from.

    RMB

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember going to the cemetery in Mt. Morris once with Dad as a young adult I asked him to take me there when I was gathering some information about his life. I was amazed how many Hughes graves there were, and that he knew where many of them were. Thanks for the research Jim. Makes me want to go there again with you and connect some dots. Thank you Daniel O'Connell for getting the Hughes's going on the road to justice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LISTENING TO THE QUIET AT 75

WAR: What is it good for?

I'VE LOOKED AT LIFE FROM BOTH SIDES NOW