"Sit down and read." Mother Jones



The best boss I had in my working life (1962-2015) was a fella named Carl Gromek, Michigan's State 
Court Administrator from 2004 to 2011. I enjoyed working with and for him and learned a lot during our seven  years as colleagues. When he  retired,  I asked him what his plans were.

He thought a minute and then said,"You know all those books that you've wanted to read and just never got around to reading? Well,  I've piled them up next to my favorite chair; I intend to read them once I've stopped working here at the Supreme Court." 

When we're busy making a living ,  we're required to spend an inordinate amount of time reading.

We read letters, memos, reports, strategic plans, professional journals, newspapers, magazines.....

In 2022 there are texts and tweets, e-mails and blogs, You Tube videos and Tik Toks, Facebook  and    Linked-In posts....

Since a lot of this stuff is required, 'necessary', we may or may not 'like' what we're reading. In fact, it may become so  repetitious that we become hardened from actually learning anything new. Perhaps we become incurious.

When we retire, the  reading we're required to do is is reduced significantly.

Carl Gromek  knew this and was thoughtful and wise to make plans to utilize time freed from required reading to engage in what I'd call "choice reading."

I've taken Carl's advice during my own retirement and discovered some amazing and informative books that have enriched my understandings and fed my soul.

Reading an actual book from cover to cover is a wonderful experience.

You take the time to think about what book you're going to read; you make a conscious choice to borrow or purchase the book. 

Maybe you're following the recommendation of a friend or you've decided to browse the library or your favorite bookstore. 

There are lists on the internet...TOP TEN NOVELS OF ALL TIME, NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLERS, FICTION, NONFICTION....The  choices are myriad.

Holding a book, getting in your comfortable place and concentrating on the words before you can be wonderful.

Doing this during the day in a chair rather than before crashing in bed can focus the mind and heart and refresh one's sense of discovery and curiousity.

TRY IT....YOU'LL LIKE IT!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LISTENING TO THE QUIET AT 75

WAR: What is it good for?

I'VE LOOKED AT LIFE FROM BOTH SIDES NOW