MARCH IN MICHIGAN: WHAT I LEARNED FROM MY GRANDSONS

 






S and J


Michigan in March was  bitter cold, isolating and downright gloomy. What makes this so vivid is that  a glimmer of  warmth and Spring appeared early in the month that tantalized the soul. The sun showed up and for a brief moment we believed  that winter was done. Then we got hammered by an ice storm which cut off power to nearly one million people followed by a blizzard paralyzing traffic,  schools and businesses.The gray skies and arctic winds told us to hunker down, stay home and withdraw again into hibernation mode.


So....when the Haisley Elementary School Play showed up on the schedule, I admit to hoping it would be canceled so I could wallow on the couch in my pajamas and binge on movies and /or college basketball. The last thing I wanted was to get presentable (shower, shave, wear clothes and shoes) and venture out to an elementary school gymnasium with 250 of my closest friends!


But I soldiered up and traversed out into the cold night air.  When I arrived, to my surprise, the parking lot was full. 


I had only been in the building a few times to vote when we first arrived in Ann Arbor  six years ago. 

Haisley is where my  grandson Sam is a first grader and his brother James attends kindergarten.

 

Walking into the building after the long pandemic isolation was compelling in that I realized what I had missed:a sense of connection to my neighbors and surroundings.


Volunteers, kids, parents, teachers, aunts and uncles, sisters and brothers, grandmas and grandpas jammed the auditorium .


For the first time in three long years, we were together in person as a community (not on a Zoom call or Youtube video).


We gathered  for the time honored story of "The Lion King"

                           --Hope and Fear

                           --Leadership and Betrayal

                           --Unity and Division.

The ‘Circle of Life.’’


'Twas in a word, WONDERFUL!


Amid  the dreariness of Michigan's March , the children brought LIGHT.


Amid the isolation of our individual lives, the children brought COMMUNITY.


Amid the brokenness of war and poverty and violence pervading the news, the children brought HOPE.


Grandson Sam designed the logo for the play which adorned programs, posters and t-shirts; he proudly performed his bit part as a member of the lion cub pack.


Grandson James was enthralled with the songs and pageantry of a wonderfully entertaining production replete with dramatic music, brilliant costumes and stellar performances by wild hyenas, the evil Scar, and the hero Simba.


And this Grandpa came away renewed, refreshed, grateful, and hopeful.......inspired by the children of this school community.


THANK YOU!


                           







Comments

  1. No, THANK YOU, kind sir, for your continual reach for optimism in the darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a heartwarming post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning to you Jim! Thanks for sharing the sunshine!!! Sam's logo is beautiful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff, dad! I'll have Sam invoice you for the royalties on that drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true! From the bleakness of winter, to hunkering down in pajamas for days, to exploding with gratitude for the gift that children and community are, I can relate to all you say. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You continue to tap into things that make life worth living and make me happy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, Jimmy. Love the play & the logo. Congrats Sam. Haisley is where Mary Jo taught. katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KATIE,
      I remember that. Pass it on to her.
      JIMMY

      Delete
  8. Love this so much!! Thank God we can all get together in person again! Keep writing Jim! You lift us up! I want to see Sam’s logo. Others are commenting. How do I see it?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LISTENING TO THE QUIET AT 75

WAR: What is it good for?

I'VE LOOKED AT LIFE FROM BOTH SIDES NOW